- Film4 Is a British based film company owned by Channel 4.
- The controller of Film4 and Channel 4 Drama is Tessa Ross.
- Established 1998 along with the Film4 Television Channel.
- One of the biggest film institutes in Britain, primarily funded by Channel 4 and have recently under gone a 50% budget raise from eight to ten million a year to £15million.
- They are known for producing 'British' films that are gritty and centre around relationships, concentrating on 'social realism' . They quote what they do as 'We develop and co-finance smart and distinctive feature films.’
- Channel 4's philosophy has always been to experiment and innovate and cater for audiences not addressed by other channels. Film4 follows this philosophy by looking for distinctive films that will compete in the difficult cinema market. They often use first time feature screenwriters or directors and aim to produce around twenty films a year
- Film4 films are often less available to the 'multiplex' audience as they aim more for their niche target audience, and crediting at film festivals.
- A particular big hit for Film4 was Slumdog Millionaire, which was originally planned to be released straight onto DVD, broke box office records and has gone on to gross around $243million worldwide, along with winning seven BAFTA's and eight Academy Awards.
- Originally a subscription-only service, the film4 channel was relaunched in 2002 to become the only subscription free film channel on terrestrial television; increasing its audience from 300,000 to 18million.
- The channel tends to show films around two years after the theatrical release, with films involved with film4 throughout production being shown on either channel 4 or film4 itself first before other channels (e.g- Slumdog Millionaire).
- Similarly to Working Title, you can view video blogs and see behind the scenes of film4 films in production on the website at: http://www.film4.com/features/film4-in-production
- Film4 Productions also finance many films, often partnering with other British companies such as Warp films and working title, or the French company Studio Canal, as well as playing a part with the conglomerate companies in Hollywood.
- A new venture recently launched by Film4 along with Sony and Disney is a new online video on demand service for film4. It will supply a selection of films to rent online, with many available the same day as DVD release from 50p to £3.99. There is already around 500 films available: http://film4od.film4.com/
The Lovely Bones
This is England
Film4 Productions Film - Film Fact Sheet - This is England: